Sept 2011 - June 2012
Senior Systems Engineer
- Co-responsible for all aspects of the site's systems & infrastructure in a team of two.
- Ubuntu, MySQL, Redis, Ruby on Rails environment, VMWare, puppet, Jenkins CI, git...
Feb. 2010 - Aug. 2011
Site Reliability Engineer / Production Engineer
- Member of the SRE team, responsible for 24/7 stability and performance of the worldwide site infrastructure. Among my duties : troubleshoot system/network/application-level incidents, manage datacenter traffic balancing, build & maintain tools for cluster management and deployment, participate in on-call rota.
- I then moved to the Production Engineer (formerly called App Operations) role for more long term project-based duties, participating in the design and implementation of architectures, automation and processes for major site applications and subsystems.
- Linux, memcached, MySQL, cfengine, and many more in-house components.
Jul. - Dec. 2009
Systems & network engineer
Part of the infrastructure team at France's original maps site, 13th french web destination, in a mixed Windows / Linux environment. I was the go-to person for Linux & networking matters.
- Debian, Puppet, Cacti, Memcached, Windows Server, Cisco, Nortel, Zeus ZXTM, VMWare, NetApp, Bind, Apache, IIS, MySQL, SQL Server, Postfix...
2007 - 2009
Renaud Guerin Conseil (Paris)
- Main client : Gum Prod (David Guetta & Joachim Garraud's music label, Paris). I revamped hosting and took charge of systems administration for joachimgarraud.com and davidguetta.com, their music podcasts (regularly at the top of iTunes Store France charts) and the "Invasion" on-demand CD store.
- Other clients & projects: Network administration for Reed Expositions, Linux / TCP/IP training at Pythagore FD, Embedded software architecture consulting (multimedia set-top box project), emergency tuning of websites under sudden heavy traffic.
Mar. 2004 - Jun. 2007
Linux systems engineer
- Working on the main orange.fr hosting platform (#1 ISP and 3rd french destination : day to day operations, systems administration, security & performance tuning, reporting & monitoring, architecture, design & capacity planning of new projects, on-call rota (1500+ servers).
- Main achievement : architected & migrated the new customers home pages platform (Pages Perso Orange : 500,000 sites, several TBs of storage). Advanced software (DRBD) & hardware (HP) troubleshooting. Drastically improved performance and cut costs compared to the previous solution.
- HP/IBM servers & storage, Debian, Redhat, Apache, high availability (LVS+Heartbeat+NFS+DRBD), iptables, cfengine, Windows 2003 Server, Cisco, Nortel ...
Sept. - Dec. 2003
Freelance Linux / TCP/IP trainer
- In charge of Linux and TCP/IP courses, mostly for audiences of UNIX/Windows/Mainframe systems professionals.
Jan. - Jun. 2003
R&D Software Engineer
- Linux developer in the early team of the award-winning Freebox (DSL set-top box for France's #2 ISP Free.fr).
- Optimized key parts of the embedded Linux distribution for size. Modified the DSL Sagem Fast 800 modem's kernel drivers for internal use.
- C-based system-level development, custom Linux distribution, sockets/driver/kernel programming, busybox, uClibc ...
Feb. - Aug. 2002
(National Computer Science Research Institute, Sophia-Antipolis, France)
IP networks/QoS research intern
- Within the PLANETE research team, evaluated the DiffServ framework for IP QoS and its suitability for deployment in a carrier-scale IP network.
- Studied the state of the art for QoS algorithms (CBQ,WRR,RED,RIO...), and their implementation in networking equipment. Created custom C++ modules on the ns-2 network simulator. Gained insight with working in an academic research team together with industry partners.
- Advanced TCP, NS-2 network simulator, C++, TCL, Valgrind, LateX.
Sept. 2000 - Feb. 2001
(Linux services, Saint-Denis, France)
Infrastructure software engineering intern
- Developed and deployed a tailor-made system for automated installation and centralized management of Debian Linux workstations. First contacts with the local Debian developers community here.
- C, Shell, Perl, advanced Debian, cfengine.
2000 - mid-2002
Linux Systems Administrator (part time student job)
Main initative : students server project (home page hosting, yearbook and online services for 1500+ users). Designed and operated the infrastructure (LAMP / Samba).
- Linux, DEC Unix, Squid, PAM, Samba, Apache, MySQL ...
Apr. - Jun. 1999
(regional ISP, Reims, France)
- Developed a LAMP-based CRM application. Researched IP firewall and bandwidth management solutions on FreeBSD.
- Linux, FreeBSD, Firewall, ipfw, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
Jun. - Aug. 1998
ThyssenKrupp (Reims, France)
- Proposed and built a LAMP-based sales application, a first early opportunity to consult for end users.
- Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.